President Donald Trump followed his incendiary warning to North Korea against the US. Threatened with a boast Wednesday in the strength of the United States nuclear arsenal, although he hoped it would not take use.
Twitter messages from Trump’s nuclear arsenal arrived after North Korea said it was considering plans for a missile strike in the US territory of Guam in the United States Pacific. He then followed the comments of M. Trump on Tuesday that any North Korean threat from the United States would be full of “fire and fury”.
“My first term as president was to renew and modernize our nuclear arsenal. It is now much stronger and more powerful than ever before,” said M. Trump. “We hope we never have to use this power, but it will never be a time that we are not the most powerful nation in the world!”
The sharp rise in tensions between a country that has one of the world’s largest nuclear arsenals and a nuclear boom erasing financial markets led US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to try to delay the rhetoric.
While Mr. Trump said the nuclear arsenal was more potent than ever, US officials say it takes decades to actually modernize nuclear weapons, a movement already under the administration of President Barack Obama, and there are treaties that regulate the expansion nuclear. Trump administration still conduct a review of the nuclear stance.
Shortly before Mr. Trump’s statements about the nuclear arsenal, Mr. Tillerson landed in Guam for a pre-press visit after he did not believe there was an imminent threat to North Korea and that “Americans should sleep well at night.”
Tillerson said that with his “fire and fury” warning, the US president was trying to use the kind of language that would resonate with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. North Korea regularly threatens to destroy the United States
“What the President did is send a strong message to North Korea in a language that Kim Jong Un would understand because he does not understand diplomatic language,” Tillerson said.
This morning, North Korea said it “carefully examined” a Guam attack plan, home to about 163,000 people and a US military base that includes a submarine squad, an air base and a Coast Guard group.
The plan was implemented at any time after Kim made the decision, a spokesman for the Korean People’s Army said in a statement released by the KCNA state news agency.
Governor of Guam, Eddie Calvo, dismissed the threat and said the island was prepared for “any eventuality” with strategically placed defenses. He said he had been in touch with the White House and that there was no change in the threat level. “Guam is a US plant … We are not just a military facility,” said M. Calvo in an online video message.
North Korea, which tracks missile and nuclear weapons programs in violation of UN Security Council resolutions, also accused the United States of America. Of having designed a “preemptive war” and said another report that any plan to execute it would be filled with a “casual” war, erasing all enemy strongholds, including the American continent.